Birth Preparation Sessions
"I do not care what kind of birth you have… a home birth, a scheduled cesarean, epidural hospital birth, or if you birth alone in the woods next to a baby deer. I care that you had options, that you were supported in your choices, and that you were respected." - January Harshe, Birth Without Fear
First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy! I’m so excited for you and welcome the opportunity to work with you and your family during this wonderful time. Whether you’re due next month or are barely 20 weeks, debating a birth center, home, or hospital birth, you’re here for a reason. I’d love to tell you more about what it’s like working with me.
Why should I prepare for my birth?
For lots of birthing people, pregnancy and childbirth are completely foreign and scary. Our society has done a really good job making us think it’s a terrifying event. I’m here to help combat that and I truly believe knowledge is power. I take a realistic approach to birth in that I walk you through the physiological process, but I also give tips and guidance on how to navigate the unknown nature of birth. Between medical terminology and hospital policies and procedures, participating in my sessions gives you a head start before you cross uncharted waters. And whether you're a first time parent or you've done this before, my sessions are tailored to meet you where you are. I believe there's no right way to give birth so whether you want ALL THE DRUGS or desire an unmedicated birth, I'm here to support you and help you prepare accordingly. My sessions are typically geared toward those birthing in the hospital, however I also take on clients who are planning an out of hospital birth.
Each session is tailored based on your wants and needs heading into your birth. We'll have one introductory session where we dive into this pregnancy and what you're planning, and then based off that I customize our in-person session so you truly feel confident heading into your labor and birth.
Birth Preparation Session
- One complimentary initial consult via phone, FaceTime or Zoom
- Discussion of current pregnancy and goals for upcoming birth so I can customize our in person session accordingly
- 1 in-person birth prep session (note: I am vaccinated against COVID-19)
- Typical sessions include:
- Discussion on the stages of labor and what to expect
- Physiological birth process
- Pain medication options
- Hospital policies and procedures
- Coping techniques
- Meditation suggestions to prepare for birth/postpartum
- Nutritional counseling to best prepare the body for labor and postpartum
- Postpartum preparation suggestions